Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Remote from anywhere in the United States
Salary Range: $45,000 – $60,000
Please read this ad thoroughly (and all the way to the end) and know we do not accept resumes without the accompaniment of a cover letter. We want to get to know you a bit, so help us out!
Enjoy the Journey With PixelSpoke!
PixelSpoke is an environment for the good-humored, analytical, creative spirits inside each of us — and we’re looking for the next outstanding team member.
About the Position
This is a client services support role with a growth path to becoming a mid-level project manager or account manager on our Client Services team. You will work closely with our Client Services team of project managers and account managers to support them with logistical tasks, project scheduling, and quality assurance work. You will also be in charge of managing 5-10 clients with small retainers, as well as responding to a small number of clients without retainers as they have web support issues or requests that come up; for all of these clients you will be responsible for managing the projects from start to finish, scoping requests and setting budgets, gathering key information from the clients, building client facing and internal timelines, and communicating that to our internal team of user experience architects, designers, and developers.
Your responsibilities will focus on logistical support for overflow work from our team of project managers or account managers on the Client Services team, managing your own roster of clients, responding to inbound web support requests, and doing quality assurance testing (QA) on certain projects. You will meet regularly with your client roster to keep projects on track. You’ll also be responsible for setting clear project requirements, providing regular updates to the client and internal team, clearly documenting all requests, managing project budgets, and preventing scope creep, among other detail-oriented tasks. You’ll be juggling multiple projects and client relationships simultaneously, while also balancing internal team workloads with your clients’ timelines. You will also be the main contact for your clients when they need website support tasks.
The work is fast-paced and includes a lot of pulling things together from many different people – your clients, the internal team, freelance partners, and third party vendors.
A Day in the Life
Each day starts with a short team huddle to get everyone on the same page. After that, you might check emails and answer questions from the internal team and clients about current projects. Then you might jump into a video call with one of our project managers to define how to test a new website about to launch for key functionality, and do a couple of hours testing and filing bugs. At lunchtime, you might join a teammate on Zoom and chat while you eat, or you might go for a walk and get some fresh air.
After lunch, you join the client services meeting, where you’ll complete some bookkeeping-related tasks, share team announcements and delve into discussion and/or issue solving.
Next you will meet with one of your clients to discuss two projects they are interested in starting, gathering the specific requirements, and scheduling time for yourself to build the timeline, and budget next week.
Later you spend some time reviewing the status of your active projects and ensuring budgets are on track. You then catch up on small web support client requests by updating and assigning Jira tickets (our issue and task assignment tool) to various team members.
More about the Position
We’re Looking for Someone With…
- 1 – 3 years of agency experience, preferably in web development or digital marketing
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and prioritization skills
- Adept organizational skills
- Demonstrated skill in building trust and connection with clients, managing client relationships, and serving as a liaison between creative teams and clients
- Ability to quickly identify when a project begins to veer off scope, assess the cause, and take steps to implement a resolution
- Ability to communicate clearly and translate technical info into simple client-friendly language
- Experience with management & communication tools and an ability & willingness to learn new ones
- Ability to organize the details from a client project so that the internal team can clearly understand what is expected of them and by when so they can do a great job
Year 1 Success Metrics
- Managing 8-10 small client retainers and support requests from ~10 clients without retainers
- Average gross margin on projects is 50%+
- A Net Promoter Score (client satisfaction survey) of 50+
- Can you work with a team to inspire creative solutions that address clients’ needs?
- Can you communicate easily, credibly, and pleasantly about topics like scheduling, money, and technology?
- Are you at ease leading a group project, including being sensitive to your colleague’s work styles, strengths, and challenges, while still moving the projects forward?
- Are you at ease interfacing with colleagues who have other expertise? (ie. designers, coders, and UX [user experience architects])
- Can you manage your own time effectively and work well with a team to make sure projects stay on schedule and budget?
- Are you able to easily task switch between reactive and proactive client needs on a daily basis?
- If you’re not sure about your answer to a few of these questions, are you excited by the challenge of learning how to develop these new skills?
If you answered “yes” to these questions, we want to meet you!
What Does 100% Remote Position Mean?
This is a 100% remote position. We will provide a computer and most necessities for your at-home office set-up. This position may require additional travel to Portland, Oregon, up to 3 times a year for strategic planning (apart from the annual retreat). Travel and lodging for this will also be covered by the company.
If after the pandemic you would like to join us in the office and you are planning to or already reside in the Portland area, we would be delighted to have you do so, but there is no expectation. We would not cover moving expenses. To learn more about our remote work culture and the expectations for our remote employees, please see “A Word about Remote Work During and after the Coronavirus” at pixelspoke.com/careers
Why Join the PixelSpoke Team?
We have a lot of reasons for loving our workplace, but here are a few of the biggest ones:
- Our Core Values: Our culture determines how we communicate with each other and our clients, and everything we do is guided by our core values of Enjoy the Journey, Improve Every Day, Everybody Wins, Solution not Blame, Curiosity with a Purpose, and Authenticity. Learn more about our core values at pixelspoke.com/who-we-are/
- High Quality Work & Outstanding Clients: PixelSpoke has received numerous awards for our outstanding creative work, and we actively seek out clients that are aligned with our desire to make the world a better place.
- Business as a Force For Good: As a worker-owned cooperative and certified B Corp that has been honored as a “Best for the World” company in 2017, 2018 and 2019, PixelSpoke strives to make the world a better place by treating our employees well and improving our environmental, community, and workplace impact.
Our Hiring Process
We have a more thorough hiring process than most small businesses. This is because we believe that the cost of a mis-hire is enormous to both an individual and a company. Our process consists of several interviews, a review of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We want you to find the ideal position for your skill set and strengths.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
People of all identities, including women, people of color, people with disabilities, people of different ages, veterans, members of the LGBTQ community, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. We have so much to say about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; please read our full statement at pixelspoke.com/careers.
If there is anything we can do to accommodate you to participate fully in the recruitment or interview process, please let us know in your cover letter or by emailing [email protected].
How to Apply
If you feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application process by submitting your application here, along with a brief cover letter that answers the following questions:
- What are your salary expectations?
- Which core value resonated with you the most and why?
No phone calls, please.